Thursday 1 January 2015

Movie Review: Terbaik Dari Langit

Assalamualaikum and Happy New Year guys!

Now, it's 2015 and I am very looking forward to this year as there are so many things I would like to do and to achieve in my life. One of them is updating my blog frequently, or at least once a month. I need to have the effort of voicing out my own opinions and thoughts as well as improving my English day by day.

Enough talking about me, now we come straight to the point. So I decide to kick start this year by watching one of the most trending movie of last year that got people talking about it all around - Terbaik Dari Langit (TBL).





To summarise, this new movie was directed by Nik Amir Mustapha (who also directed Kil few years ago), written by Redza Minhat and performed by renowned local actors like Bront Palarae, Iedil Putra, Siti Saleha, Nadiya Nissa and more.

First of all, I personally do not like going to cinemas watching Malay movies. The very last Malay movie I've ever watched in cinema is Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa, considering the quality of the film as well as the production team behind it - KRU Studios, famed for its ingenuity in the local film industry. So yeah. Mostly I watched Malay films either via my friends who would download it online, or wait until it shows on television, most likely during Raya or any holiday season.

But seeing the reputation of this movie as it is currently being played on cinemas (not for long though, but we'll get into that later), I'm eager to take a look on how astonished it is. I gots to watch it.

And yeah, it's part of my movie marathon streak last year. I watched Interstellar twice last November - the best Christopher Nolan's creation so far. lol

First, we were introduced to this band of brothers (+ a girl) who were in an attempt to make a film about extraterrestrial beings and UFO which subtly refers to the human mind. So, they set out a roadtrip all over the country in search of the UFO supposedly seen 15 years ago to be used as the plot device of their film. TBL explores the true meaning of friendship and how the local film industry works.

The story is very the santai (ha! terkeluar Melayu kau! hahahaha). So relaxed, you don't have to expect any jumpscares or moments of anticipation where you'll be at the edge of your seat. Watlek watpeace je. :P

But that doesn't mean you can sleep throughout the movie. (kalau cenggitu, baik takyah tengok wayang!) Listen closely at the dialogues and lines as the characters speaks. Some of them are quite brilliant and could be quoted out for general uses like idk.... motivational quotes, tweeting, caption a photo on Instagram.

I like the idea of death being portrayed as a journey into another world. For instance:

  • We see the near-death experience of Berg entering a 'Bilik Sakit' and found his grandfather/uncle (idk) played by the late Seniman Aziz Sattar, hugged him at the very end. How his old friends from the past guided him until the very end. 
  • Again, we see how the UFO beamed out a white band of light on him and took him up into their ship. That's like the nur of death. How he embraced the idea of death being represented as purification of one soul in preparing of another world. 


*Again, it's my opinion. I have things that I want to say, and there's no wrong of saying it.*

The portrayal of Iedil Putra as the bad guy in TBL is quite good. Thumbs up to him. I can feel the annoyance of his character being pushed here and there just for some dumb video project. And I can feel the energy behind Bront Palarae's character as he attempted to do this fantasy world story just like what he fantasized. Toyu is a character that I can described in one word - funny. He's like so naive and innocent in each conflict they had.

And one more thing, I have to give my salutes to the D.O.P for amazing shots. I've never seen Malaysia being portrayed as beautiful as some overseas indie movie. The shots, the editing especially the sky with the space thing. Just jaw-dropping beauty.

Anyway, that's all I have in my head right now. It's almost 11.12 pm by the time I wrote this. So see you guys again. Later.

p.s: I can't quote any lines right now because I'm not that good at catching Malay dialogues. But I know the deeper meaning behind it. So yeah....

No comments:

Post a Comment