Friday 20 March 2015

News for Asasi TESL Intake 2015/2016

Update (15/5/2015):

Hello there! I have a new update regarding the placement of Asasi TESL 2015/2016 students. As you may know, it is written on your letter that you are given the names of a transit / temporary campus, and a permanent campus.

I have seen this matter before during my time, but it occurred to the Art & Design students (in which their permanent campus is the Puncak Alam campus). But up until now, they have spent 2 semesters in Shah Alam, probably due to the delayed completion of Art & Design campus there.

Some of my friends have brought this matter to the attention of our head of programme (Ms Melissa Malik) and she gave us a short but definitive response regarding this:



Assalamualaikum dear readers.
Hear ye, hear ye... I bear some news for you humans.

How's it going? Great? Good? Well, keep it up folks. Right now, I'm at the final week of my second semester. Almost there. I could barely see the finish line at the end of the road. By early April, I would be finishing my Asasi TESL program. Phew....

[From here on, the programme I'm referring is the Asasi TESL UiTM]

Recently, I've been repeatedly asked and inquired by questions concerning this program. And I must say, I'm proud of myself to be able to write something that people can refer to. During my time, there were like not much references or blog posts that I can use as reference.

I can say that lots of people are interested to be in this program. I can see why would they make that choice: it's a fast lane, another way out from the mainstream science and all those mumbo-jumbo subjects and just pure interest. Well, there's more to that, kids. And as you can see by the title, I have some news (not sure if it's good or bad) for the freshmen.



1. Campus location

For all these years, the Faculty of Education (it's the name of the 'school' where you study under UiTM's name) is known to be located far off the main campus (Seksyen 1/2/7) which is located in Seksyen 17, Shah Alam. And yes, it is situated inside the INTEC campus (a preparation 'school' for students who plan to further their study overseas).







But lately, there has been a rumour concerning this matter - the changing of location. It was said that the Faculty may have to be relocated somewhere else due to the fact that now INTEC has fully operated as a private education institution under UiTM and basically they own the place.

There are other rumours going among the students that the Faculty might be relocated somewhere not near the vicinity of either the main campus or the Seksyen 17 campus. Worse, some said it will be placed in the new campus in either Puncak Perdana or Puncak Alam.


This is the new UiTM campus situated in Puncak Alam


Why worse? Well, Puncak Alam & Puncak Perdana is basically a place located very, very far away from the central city of Shah Alam. Like literally, the place is surrounded by oil palm forests and developing areas roamed by cranes and machines as the once-dense forest is now being transformed as a city.






Prof. Dr. Mohd Mustafa bin Mohd Ghazali
Dean of Faculty of Education
These rumours, however, have been confirmed by the Dean of the Faculty himself, in an event last week. He said that the Faculty will be relocated to Puncak Alam campus, and will be provided with two 9-storey buildings (if I'm not mistaken) to suit the need of having our own faculty in our own campus.

So yes, these rumours are true and the Faculty of Education will move to Puncak Alam by the end of this year, and the first batch of students to experience learning in the new faculty area is the March 2015 intake (I'm probably one of them, Insya-Allah).





2. Asasi campus



Yes, you read that right.

There will be a new campus only for Asasi UiTM students, where all four foundation programs will be centralised here in Dengkil.

For your information, UiTM offers 4 foundation programs namely:
  • Asasi TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language)
  • Asasi Undang-Undang (Law)
  • Asasi Sains (Science)
  • Asasi Kejuruteraan (Engineering)
Before this, the foundation programs are held within the campuses all over Malaysia. For instance, students can join Asasi TESL in 3 campuses: in Shah Alam, Kuantan and Malacca; while Asasi Undang-Undang can be found in Shah Alam main campus, Asasi Sains in Puncak Alam and Asasi Kejuruteraan in Seri Iskandar, Perak.

For more information, you can go to the Pusat Asasi UiTM official site where you can find the entry requirements as well as what will you learn in the program of your choice.

Check you entry requirement here. (You will be required to fill in your SPM result)

Well folks, that's all the news for today. I'll keep updating about the Foundation Studies in UiTM. Do wish me luck for final exam! :)

Update: You guys can check out another section of this blog all about Asasi TESL program in UiTM. The link is here.

Disclaimer: All pictures are retrieved from Google Images and attributed to its respective creator or owner.

26 comments:

  1. Thank you for your update. It really help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam, nak tanya sikit. I'm a tesl-ian to be (this june :D). Dalam surat tawaran tu, dia ada tulis 2 kampus, kampus transit (sementara) dengan kampus tetap. Dalam borang pendaftaran tu, nak tulis kampus yang mana ye? Dan kod program asasi tesl tu yang E0150 atau PI020?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wassalam. Well, congratulations to you, you've finally made it! =D

      Untuk isi apa kat dalam borang tu, to be safe, why not you leave that part blank first? Then once you dah registered college on day one, you can ask the facilitators masa MDS nanti. Don't worry, masa MDS nanti ada satu slot khas untuk pelajar-pelajar isi borang and uruskan apa yang patut for pendaftaran kolej & universiti. Facilitator MDS / Pemimpin Mahasiswa akan guide you all nanti.

      Kod asasi TESL is always PI020. :)

      That's all. Sorry for the late reply and an answer with mixed language. ^^"

      Delete
  3. assalamualaikum . I also got the offer for TESL . Which university will send student to go overseas to continue degree in TESL ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And also does I have to apply for UPU again or I will definitely get the placement at UiTM or other IPTA after I pass the qualification to continue degree in TESL ? TQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waalaikumussalam. Congratulations to you!

      Well, for the first question, I'm not really sure about it. But what I've heard from my friends are:

      - Kalau nak ke luar negara, you have to take IELTS test (which is an English proficiency test, much like MUET. I've taken one in class, not the actual one, but I can tell you it's more difficult than MUET)

      - You need to apply for scholarship (by your own). Tak kiralah MARA or KPM or anything.

      - Actually not sure if there are any public universities in Malaysia yang send students to go overseas to continue degree in TESL, but you can try entering TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Language) which can give you more advantage and chances to go overseas when you do your degree. My friend suggested one university: USM. (But you'll have to go through a series of interviews and test to qualify into the course)

      - You can proceed to overseas when you do your Masters in TESL. You can go to either UK, US, Australia, or New Zealand.

      Again, I'm not entirely sure about this, but I'll update about it once I have the full grasp of it.

      Secondly, the system requires you to apply for UPU again each time you finish your course. For example, once you finished the foundation program, you will have to fill in the UPU again for the degree program. And your placement at UiTM is not fully guaranteed, given that you have to fulfill the requirement in order to get to the degree program.

      Let's say, you've done with Asasi TESL in UiTM and you wish to enter the TESL degree programme in UiTM. You will be required to have 3 things:

      - a CGPA of 2.5 and above
      - passed MUET with band 4 and above
      - passed MEdSI test

      Once, you've got all this, and you've passed the degree interview, then only you will enter the degree program.

      Here is where UPU comes in. You can plan your own strategy and if you wish to start fresh, you can! You can choose any university or any other courses, if you like to. Just like how you filled in your UPU before.

      For this, you will have to be prepared and do a lot of research on which universities that provide TESL program, as well as the scholarships, and how can you make your way to overseas studies.

      To keep it simple, plan ahead.

      And that's all, I guess. Any questions, just ask me! :)

      Delete
    2. Wahhh tq for the info :D It helps me a lot :))

      Delete
  5. Hi. I'm a fifth former student and I'm planning to pursue my studies in TESL. My love and passion towards English is just simply indescribable. I also have been wanting to be a teacher since I love teaching. My English teacher told me that my English is quite good (but I never consider myself as someone who is excellent in English because there are still lots of things that I need to learn) and I could apply for TESL. Though I'm good in language, my maths is terrible. Not to mention other science subjects including Additional Maths. I never pass Addmaths, my marks is always below than 10 (unfortunately) and all I can say is that it's not impossible for me to fail this subject in SPM. Let's say if I fail Addmaths, does it going to affect my application to pursue my studies in TESL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! First of all, you have a very good grasp on the English language. And your teacher probably right, you could apply for TESL. And yeah, Add Maths. Even I didn't perform well back in SPM.

      Here's my piece of advice: now that you have the potential for TESL, you should go for it. What you can do is Google up the requirement details from the UiTM Foundation website, and start from there. I guess you don't have to worry for Addmaths or any other Science subjects because TESL is more to language stuffs so I'm pretty sure if, in worst case scenario, you fail the subject in SPM, you still have a slight chance to be in the TESL programme.

      I can tell you that since I got D for Add Math in my SPM, yet I still make it to the foundation programme. So good luck to you! And so sorry for the late reply. And since we're still on it, Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri!

      Delete
  6. Assalamualaikum. I have a few questions I wanna ask you. Let's say that I had bought the UPU pincode for the further studies(which I actually have no single idea what it's for),what's the first thing I should do to apply for this TESL foundation? I'd love if you tell me the procedure step by step...I REALLY don't know what to do. Secondly, I had read the qualifications on this foundation and it says that one should get a good result in Mathematics OR Additional Mathematics. I have faith in my Math (in sha Allah A+) but my Addmath is a shamble, I bet I will fail So am I eligible even if I failed in Addmath but passes on Math? Oh,and I really enjoy reading your stuff :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waalaikumussalam. Hi there.

      1) For the UPU pincode, you need to use it for UPU registration. UPU is a system made by the MOE to process the registration to most universities in Malaysia. Once you made an account using the pincode, you can start registering the universities that you want to be in.

      In your case, you need to narrow down your choices (I believe they will provide you 8 universities option to submit) to universities that offer TESL program. If you really want to join the UiTM TESL foundation program, put that on the first choice.

      But of course there are other choices if you want to take TESL like Diploma TESL in UniSZS etc. Do more researches about this, then plan out your options.

      For example:
      Pilihan 1: Asasi TESL UiTM
      Pilihan 2: Diploma TESL
      Pilihan 3: ...

      You can put as much options as you want, but the first option will most likely be your next place to be. So choose wisely about this.

      Oh, I'm not sure about this, but back in the days, I was given four chances to check my submission for registration. So plan out the whole thing and always remember to keep the documents (submission forms, information) in case of anything.

      2) Well, if you read my earlier post, I did share my SPM result and how did I got into Asasi TESL. FYI, I got D for Add Maths and C for Maths.

      Just keep praying that you at least got a D for Add Maths instead of failing it. Not sure if they will be looking at the mathematics and science grades tho.

      BUT, I can tell you this. As long as your core subjects, and most importantly English passed the requirement, I'm pretty sure you will have chance to be in the program. Insya Allah.

      Also, I'm not really that good in Add Maths. In fact, most TESLians too. :D

      3) Thank you so much for coming here! Do ask anything if you have any doubts about this.

      Delete
  7. Ohh and another question,monsieur. Just now I have a chat with my friend and he talks about 'meritocracy' that indicates whether I am eligible to enter certain university according to our electives that we pick when we were still schooling. Since I take a science stream subject (and I'm like you,didn't even understand a single thing :D),I have a HIGH possibility that I will fail on my Chemistry. Am I still eligible for this foundation? Or do your friends have failed in one of the science subject? Lemme know :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addition: Or do your friends have failed in one of the science subjecct but still accepted in this foundation?

      Delete
    2. I've asked around about this and I can tell you this: university life is quite different from secondary school life. You can plan out which path to take, based on your grades and passion. Sure enough, if you want to be in Asasi TESL, you have to make sure you pass the requirements. As simple as that.

      During my interview, I've met different people from different streams and backgrounds. As you already know, I'm from science stream. I, too, had this feeling that I might fail my science subject, especially Add Maths. Later on, I got a D. Pheww.

      As far as I know, the minimum grade required to be in TESL is credits (kepujian, which is C) for core subjects, right? So don't bother about the science subjects if you want to be in the language stream.

      So far, like I said, the least that most of us got for any science subjects is D.

      I'm pretty sure they won't simply give 'fail' grades to SPM candidates. Maybe you and your friends might get at least D like we did. Have faith on that. Keep praying. :)

      Delete
    3. Man,that really is assuring me.Bro,thanks a lot! Really mean it. In sha Allah,I'll try my best to enter this foundation or other English-associated learning.Do pray for my success,bro :D:D

      Delete
  8. Looking forward for TESL foundation in UITM :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. can i apply asasi tesl and further my studies in degree with other course like pengurusan hartanah or you're stuck with tesl untill degree?
    sorry for my bad english

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course you can. Do keep in mind that asasi TESL (or any other foundation programs in Malaysia) is like a one-year shortcut to degree. Most people I've ask would still apply for TESL / English-related courses, but there are also some who would be glad to apply any other courses like economics, social studies, law etc.

      Likewise, you can do so. Just don't go for science stream after asasi TESL, as you don't have the prerequisite knowledge for science subjects. (Note that there will be NO science subjects including Maths and Science in Asasi TESL)

      So, whatever your choice, it's up to you. Make good decisions. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi. If you don't mind, boleh tak saya apply asasi tesl if add math saya tak pass? I mean, i dapat solid A untuk subject english and my teachers suggested saya untuk pursue study - asasi tesl :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. May I know what grade did you got for add math?

      Delete
  11. Hi. May I know if the chances for me to get into Tesl is low since I only got an A- for english in spm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Assalam, bleh xsy nk tau syarat2 kemasukan ke ipt untuk amik course tesl? :) Sy sdg buat folio kerjaya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wassalam. Boleh check di laman web pusat asasi UiTM, segalanya tentang asasi TESL ada di situ :)

      Kalau untuk course degree in tesl uitm ada kat lanan web fakulti pendidikan UiTM.

      Delete
    2. Wassalam. Boleh check di laman web pusat asasi UiTM, segalanya tentang asasi TESL ada di situ :)

      Kalau untuk course degree in tesl uitm ada kat lanan web fakulti pendidikan UiTM.

      Delete
  13. Asalam, saya baru saja check panggilan temuduga utk program asai TESL.
    Saya sangat nervous , boleh beri sedikit nasihat ?

    ReplyDelete